I love finding the character the customer wants in toys. Especially for very young kids. They love having a cake and a toy to play with afterward. I found this paddle ball and yo-yo at The Dollar Tree! The airbrush really makes it look like it's under the water, and the sea weed and coral made from buttercream add an under the sea look too. I added clear sugar sprinkles all over to make the water shine.
Thursday, July 30, 2009
This was my first italian cream cake. I had no idea that it took so many ingredients! I made myself a sample cake to try and it was really moist and had nice flavor. I think next time I'll half the recipe because the cake was HUGE! I couldn't fit it in a regular cake box. This customer really got their money's worth. Mrs. Alice said this was the best italian cream cake she'd ever had! And this is her favorite kind of cake! I'll have to keep this recipe.
at 1:09 AM
Monday, July 27, 2009
I have some great new cake pans that I just got today. They are the shaped pans which include Barbie or Princess, Teddy Bear, American Flag, Motorcycle, Bunny Face, Snowman Face and Easter Eggs. The Barbie and Teddy Bear pans would be great for young kids birthdays and the Bear would be a really cute baby shower cake as well. The motorcycle would be good for a teenage boy or your husband! Just another option to think about!
at 10:12 PM
Sunday, July 26, 2009
Pink and brown is pretty for a 12 year old girl. I got this idea from a cake on The Pink Cake Box website. They did this design on a tiered cake. It is one of my favorite designs I've seen in a while. The cake is covered in buttercream and decorated with rolled buttercream. If I had a good digital camera the colors would have come out better in the pictures.
at 1:26 AM
Friday, July 24, 2009
Thursday, July 23, 2009
I tried to paint the deer on gumpaste, which would look pretty much identical to what it does now. The whole thing cracked and fell apart 30 minutes before I was to deliver it. I had to use the print out from the computer and color it in. I felt so bad about it. It still looked ok and the customer liked it anyway. I'll have to practice using gumpaste a little more.
at 12:53 AM
Wednesday, July 22, 2009
This was the very first cake I did at home. I was new to making buttercream, so it was a little dry. Plus, she had an invitation with this design on it and she wanted the cake to match. I was always good at drawing from a picture, but I hadn't done it with buttercream on a cake before. She kinda looks like Pamela Anderson a little bit! Since then, I've learned a lot. I don't do much drawing on cakes anymore, just because it takes so long. I didn't ever charge extra for it, but I've learned my lesson to charge for special requests.
at 2:22 PM
Tuesday, July 21, 2009
Ok. I found the picture of the whole cake, finally! This one was the base for a Hannah Montanna cake. I thought it was so pretty before I put the decorations on, so I took the picture without them. This would be a pretty cake for anyone done in any color. It would be pretty with flowers, or just like it is.
at 6:59 PM
at 2:34 PM
This cake was so fun to make. I made the ducks and frogs out of gum paste, the icing was buttercream with rolled buttercream dots, and the topper was made out of royal icing. After making the figures with gum paste, I learned that they would look better making them out of fondant. But it turned out cute anyway!
at 2:13 PM
Monday, July 20, 2009
This cake was made for the Sewanee Fourth of July Cake Contest this year. I won first place in presentation and second in theme. It is completely edible. The whole thing is a carved cake covered with fondant. The bucket is made of gum paste. The "stain" is icing color gel mixed with vodka. The silver top is made of rice krispie treats and coverd with fondant that is painted with silver lustre dust. There is fake "ice" in the bucket that I bought at Wal-mart. Even the ice cream is fake! Made from buttercream icing with a lot of powdered sugar to make it stiff. The peaches are made out of colored fondant. It took all week to get all of the pieces done. We figured I spent about 25 hours working on it.
at 11:16 PM